- General Information
- Rules - Read them :
- Everybody is welcome here, even those that have yet to ascend to the Master Race.
- This is not a satirical or circlejerk subreddit nor did it start as one. This is a normal subreddit with tongue-in-cheek and satirical humor elements.
- Owning a console does not necessarily make you a peasant.
- You don't necessarily need a PC to be a member of the PCMR. You just have to recognize that PC is objectively superior to consoles as explained here. It's not about the hardware in your rig, but the software in your heart!
- We created Reddit's most popular wiki. Read it here!
- If needed, you can Message the Mods.
- Do not assume you won't be banned at the first instance of rule violations. We don't hand out temp bans often, and any breaking of the rules can result in a ban, depending on how severe we judge it to be.
Rules - Read them :
Harassment of others is strictly forbidden. We will not tolerate any kind of incitement to action against anyone, nor will we allow the posting of information that can be used to harm others (celebrities or not).
You can disagree with someone. Don't dox them, don't follow them around to other subs or other services. Don't ask others here to do it.
Follow PCMR Etiquette. We will not allow behavior contrary to PCMR Etiquette, e.g. brigading, witch-hunting, asking for upvotes or downvotes, enabling piracy, flamebaiting, clickbaiting, intentional rudeness, text spamming, using all caps or emojis/smileys/emoticons in titles or overusing them in comments, meta-reddit or meta-subreddit drama or complaints.
This includes piracy or copyright infringement; while you're allowed to discuss these topics, you are not permitted to enable piracy or copyright infringement by any means, including links or instructions.
Brigading: "Hey, this subreddit said they don't like us! Go teach them a lesson."
Witch-hunting: "Hey, this person said they don't like us! Go teach them a lesson."
Vote Manipulation: "Upvote for visibility" or "Don't upvote, please".
Flamebaiting: "I have a $3000k dollar i7 gaming machine and I think you're all dumb. Come at me, bro."
Clickbaiting: "10 reasons consoles are better than PCs. You won't believe number 6!"
Do not link directly to threads in other subreddits. This includes NP links and archived links. Do not attempt to circumvent this rule by any means.
Example: Any link that has a different subreddit followed by comments.
/r/consolemasterrace/commentsis not OK.
Screenshots of Reddit, Facebook, Youtube, Steam, and other site's comments should have the usernames blacked out (including yours). Celebrities are the exception, as long as you respect rule #1.
Example: This is properly blacked out.
No affiliate/referral links or codes.
The most common source of breaking this rule are Amazon links. There are two Amazon link formats that are acceptable:
Posts or comments with anything in the URL, beyond the
/dp/B00XXXXXXX/will be removed.
Example: Gleam.io or any number of other sites that give someone some bonus for going there ( outside of ad revenue ).
The following will be removed at moderator discretion:
- 6.1: Content that is unrelated, especially unoriginal, low quality, or low-effort (including, but not limited to: simple website/software bugs, steam/product reviews, comedic product/system specs, steam gift messages, screenshots of conversations, internet speed test results, negligible price reductions, items that aren't PC related, even if they are named similarly or resemble it, online petitions and surveys that aren't academic in nature and have been pre-approved by the mod team).
- 6.2 Pictures of purchase or shipping related notifications and information.
- 6.3 Blatant reposts/fad-chasing.
- 6.4 Reaction images/gifs (unless very high-effort/especially original).
- 6.5 Concern trolling.
- 6.6: Feigning idiocy when posting or commenting, or linking to such content.
About Rule 6.1: This is a subjective (although objectively based), moderator dependent curation. Simple website/software bugs includes blue screens/bugs in public places.
About Rule 6.3: When a certain, repetitive kind of thread/post/joke is posted over and over again, we consider it a fad. At that point, our quality threshold is tighter, meaning posts need to be slightly better to not be removed. The more repetitive a fad is, the higher this threshold. Also, Similar content posted by multiple users, even unintentionally, may be removed.
Example of reposts/fad-chasing: A picture or screenshot of your machine being force-updated to Windows 10, or referring to your RAM as 'good memories'. Any kind of post that begins to be posted very frequently will eventually become a fad. The more frequent, the higher the quality threshold it needs to pass for it not to be removed, and most, if not all of them will be removed.
Examples of concern trolling: "You know that 'Master Race' was used by the Nazis, right?".
Age, nationality, race, gender, ability, sexuality, religion, political affiliation and economic status are all irrelevant here. All are welcome in the PC Master Race. Also, linking the PC Master Race with racial supremacy or any kind of fascist ideologies, or making analogies, jokes or references in this regard, is not acceptable in the slightest.
No begging. No soft begging. No Implicit or explicit trading. No buying. No Selling. No asking for valuation. No asking how or where to do these either.
Don't beg for stuff. Don't imply someone should give you a thing. Trade or sell your stuff in the relevant subreddits that have the processes required to make sure that's as safe as possible.
Example: Where can I sell my GPU?
Example: How much is my PC worth?
Example: Gonna sell my 1070 for very cheap and buying a 1080ti!
To prevent selling or advertising, there will be no links to eBay, Craigslist, or similar sites.
Message the mods first, and wait for permission, if your post/comment is NSFW. Do not mark your post as NSFW or as Spoiler unless it actually is NSFW or a Spoiler.
Example: A dust filled radiator is safe for work, even if it makes you cringe at the sight.
Screenshots of "peasantry," including but not limited to conversations on Reddit, other websites or sms/chat screenshots where ignorance is being spewed and/or ridiculed, must be text posts.
Even though text posts now give OP karma, this rule will stay in place as text posts are much less upvoted than link posts, and peasantry is very low-effort content we prefer to see less of.
The Master Race is generous. When we do giveaways we do it within the bounds of our subreddit and only for subreddit members. Feel free to give prizes as you see fit, but don't mandate subscriptions or other benefits. You can post about your channel or project, but don't make it a requirement to visit, comment or subscribe to an external place to enter a giveaway or to increase the likelihood of winning.
Example: You can make a giveaway here and mention your YouTube channel and how excited you are about it. You cannot make someone go view a video to enter the giveaway, you cannot make them subscribe or comment on the video to win. You also cannot give users who do any of those things a better chance of winning the giveaway.
Even if you do a giveaway, you can not directly promote a specific giveaway happening elsewhere without prior mod approval.
Example: Giveaways must be done completely in this subreddit. External giveaways (giveaways run on other sites) posted here without prior verification are against the rules and will be removed. We do not want this subreddit to become a dumping ground for giveaways.
You also cannot make a giveaway here and market a second giveaway that exists outside this subreddit without prior mod approval.
Suggestion on keys
Please avoid posting keys in plain text or on images. Consider PMs as a safer way to hand out keys.
Bots, people who we've banned for attempting fraudulent giveaways, and other unappreciative people can take keys in plain text.
Users giving away physical items must provide photo proof of ownership (including their username and date) in the giveaway thread. Shipping fees must be entirely financed by the user doing the giveaway (limiting the winner's location is allowed).
Example: This is proper verification. ( I am not giving away my K70 )
No conditional (I will only giveaway if) giveaways. If you start it, someone must win it. You cannot delete your giveaway once you post it.
Example: "I will give away Bad Rats if this post reaches /r/all!"
Giveaways shouldn't last an absurd amount of time, nor should they be absurdly difficult to enter or win.
Example: Your giveaway should not last more than a couple days, nor should someone need to hold a PhD in Theoretical Astrophysics to solve.
Winners being chosen based on how many upvotes they get
Do not choose your giveaway winners based on the number of upvotes they get. That is a recipe for vote manipulation and brigading.
Giveaways to benefit registered charities must be verified by moderators. All other requests for donations (monetary or otherwise) are not allowed as per rule #8.
Example: Any giveaways run by a 501(c)(3), like Child's Play. Humble Bundle games do not fall under this restriction.
Maximum number of entries
Only one entry per user to any giveaway unless otherwise stated by the giveaway poster.
We shouldn't have to spell this one out. Unless the OP says otherwise, only one entry per person per giveaway.
Under special circumstances, we allow giveaways to require users to visit a page outside the subreddit, but that must conform to our outside giveaway guidelines:
Outside giveaway guidelines
- User or group must have an established history with the subreddit, including several giveaways held on the subreddit as well as some interactions with the sub, or be a person or group that is very relevant to PC technology and/or PC Gaming communities.
- User or group must be verified by PCMR mods. Charities must be registered.
- Giveaway may utilize a giveaway host for ease of selection.
- There must be a process in order that ensures that the winner must have entered through a subreddit action (usually a comment in a PCMR subreddit thread)
- Extra steps or social media follows should not result in additional entries or chances to win. They can be included/mentioned, but not required. They must include actions to the PCMRs own networks.
- Winner should be announced on subreddit.
- Giveaway may be promoted elsewhere, but valid entries are required to be through the subreddit.
- Outside giveaways must always be pre-approved by the mod team.
- Outside giveaways are seen as a rare event that should be used sparingly and always for good reason. Potentially vast amount of entries, ease in making such selection, degree of generosity towards the users of PCMR and special charity needs are the main factors to be judged.
Failure to comply with outside giveaway guidelines is a violation of the giveaway rules.
Q: What should I do if I see a rule violation?
A: Report the post or comment using the "report" button just below the post or comment (each has their own).
Q: I received a message about violating a rule. What do I do now?
A: The first thing to do is to actually read the message. Really. A lot of the common questions we get can be answered by reading the message. Minor rule infractions typically result in your post or comment being removed, the accompanying message should include the reason - look for emboldened text. If you have further questions regarding the issue please contact the moderators, and include the link in question. Replying to a removal reason or PMing a moderator may go unanswered.
Q: I received a message about being banned! What did I do? What happens now?
A: If you have questions regarding the issue please reply to the ban message to discuss the issue with the moderators. Be sure to have read the rules first.